Home Buying Tips
Once the decision to buy a home has been made, take the time to study these Home Buying Tips to prepare yourself before going on your home search. For example, much of the information on FOR HomeBUYERS’ Web Site should be very familiar to you before you go looking for homes. Yes, it is very tempting to rush out and actually look at houses, but to do so without full preparation can be both disastrous and expensive. If you review this checklist you will find that “house hunting” is about halfway down the list.
- Determine what your budget will comfortably allow and stick to it. Don’t spend yourself into a “house poor” situation.
- Get preapproved for a mortgage. This will not only give you a clear idea of how much a lender will approve for you, it will make your homebuying process a great deal easier (and save a lot of time later).
- Get familiar with the different housing types available to narrow your search.
- Determine your minimum requirements as well as any desired additional features — your needs and wants.
- Take note of any items that you don’t want in a house.
- Determine the desired location (schools, work, public transportation, etc.)
- Familiarize yourself with the mortgage process.
- Get familiar with how a Real Estate Agent may work with you. All buyer’s agents are not the same. Exclusive Buyer Agents work only for Buyers 100% of their time. Some work as Buyer Agents within a listing company that also works for sellers.
- If you don’t already have an Agent screening homes for you, you can check listings and prices throughout the Triangle area on our Find A Home page. It is best to have selected your agent before you actually begin viewing homes.
- Don’t just buy a home for your present needs. Make sure to take into account future considerations.
- As you are looking, use a scorecard to compare homes. A scorecard is a great tool when it comes time for comparisons (and for remembering which home had which features!)
- Get familiar with the inspection process — especially the personal inspection aspect, so that you can weed out unacceptable houses quickly
- Maintain your perspective — and your cool! You may find an acceptable house on the first day — or the tenth. The important thing is to get the home that is best for you!
FOR HomeBUYERS, Inc., is an Exclusive Buyer Agency who will represent you 100% with never a conflict of interest. If you would like to learn more about how Exclusive Buyer Only Representation can benefit you in your home search contact us by calling or texting 919-219-9878 for a free, no obligation consultation.
FOR HomeBUYERS Information
Triangle Multiple Listing Service Statistics
North Carolina Real Estate Commission